In order to ensure that every student gets an appropriate education, the Abu Dhabi Department of Education and Knowledge adopts specific requirements for student enrolment in private schools in Abu Dhabi based on approved policies and procedures.
Below is a list of the main requirements that need to be taken into account when applying at any private school in Abu Dhabi:
- All students are entitled to apply in any private school regardless of their race, ethnicity or gender.
- Prospective parents/guardians are allowed to visit the school prior to registration.
- Schools shall re-register current students for the following school year if the parent/guardian so wishes, unless there is a behavioural problem that justify refusal.
- Schools shall admit students with chronic health conditions (such as diabetes, asthma, congenital heart disease, epilepsy and obesity) and must offer appropriate support as per the student’s needs.
- Interviews and placement tests: Schools must admit students into their kindergarten stage (KG1 or KG2) without requiring the students to sit for any form of tests or interviews.
- Schools may conduct an interview with a student during the mandatory education stage (from first grade until twelfth grade) may require the student to take certain placement tests to give an indication of their performance level(s) to be able to provide proper learning support and not for the purpose of accepting or rejecting a student.
Required Documents For Registration
- A complete registration form containing full contact details for the student’s parents / guardians and basic student details (full name in both Arabic and English, date and place of birth, nationality, address and parent/guardian details).
- Emirates ID card.
- Vaccination card / medical record.
- Academic reports for previous years (in case of students transferring from another school within the UAE or from abroad).
- Documents pertaining to individual education plans and relevant assessments, as well as evidence pertaining to gifted and talented students.
- Any additional documents deemed necessary by the school.
* For more information regarding the terms and conditions, see policy 44: Admission, Registration and Distribution.
Enrolment Requirements for Students of Determination
Schools shall admit students of determination (mild to moderate cases) and offer additional appropriate learning support as required or needed (see policy 48).
Schools may test students of determination (mild to moderate cases) may require the student to take certain placement tests to be able to provide proper educational and psychological support and not for the purpose of accepting or rejecting a student.
For more details about the education of students of determination, click here