Resumptions of Operations
Last update: 24 August 2020
Updated section*: Criteria for Reopening Schools
Timeline for Resuming Operations
All private schools in Abu Dhabi shall prepare to resume operations as per their published Academic Calendar for 2020/21.
Schools shall ensure staff presence in the UAE at least 14 days prior to their first day of work to comply with any UAE health requirements (quarantine, COVID-19 tests, etc.).
Schools shall inform parents of student who are traveling to ensure they return to the UAE 14 days prior to school reopening to comply with any UAE health requirements.
Criteria for Reopening Schools
Schools shall establish a COVID-19 Taskforce composed of the Response Team (see Setting Up a Response Team with Defined Roles in the School under Incident Management and Emergency Readiness) as well as relevant departments within the school (student affairs, human resources, academic affairs, community outreach, etc.).
The school’s COVID-19 Taskforce shall ensure the following is completed prior to reopening (detailed requirements are available in the relevant sections below):
Conduct a general Risk Assessment for reopening which is specific to the school (see Appendix 1).
Conduct individual Risk Assessments for all Students of Determination (see Appendix 2).
- Ensure that all school and staff licenses and insurances are valid and up to date.
- Cleaning and disinfection of the premises.
- Map circulation of transition areas.
- Placement of signs, demarcations, off-limit areas.
- Installation of safety equipment and ensuring stockage of materials.
- Preparation of all spaces according to the relevant protocols.
- Verify that all staff and students aged 12 and above who are physically returning to school have undergone COVID-19 Testing*.
In addition, schools shall also prepare the following prior to reopening:
- Announce the selected reopening model on the school website by 31 July 2020 (other school-based policies can be announced to the school community closer to the start of the Academic Year).
- Adapt timetables to the new school reopening models.
- Communicate and train school staff.
- Communicate with parents (on reopening plans, including criteria for reopening, protocol, and relevant policies).
- Preparation for training/information session for students during the first week to familiarize them with the new protocols.
Schools are not required to submit their reopening plans to ADEK. However, ADEK will verify adherence to the reopening requirements through a compliance process (to be announced at a later time).
This section lays out policies and guidelines aimed at ensuring that teaching and learning processes are adapted to the COVID-19 context but remain central to the school’s mission.
This section lays out policies and guidelines aimed at ensuring that schools are prepared to assist students and staff with the maintenance of health and wellbeing.