ADEK’s main role is to develop the education system in Abu Dhabi, and promote a culture of creativity, sustainability and excellence, with a focus on developing human, social and economic capabilities.
As per Law No. (9) for 2018, ADEK seeks to achieve its objectives through the following mandates:
- Develop the strategies and action plans for the education sector in the emirate, approve these plans by the Executive Council and monitor the implementation process.
- Monitor the commitment of all entities under the Department of Education and Knowledge in implementing the education sector’s strategic and action plans.
- Monitor and supervise expenses, revenues, commitment to duties and mandates, and endorsement of strategic and implementation plans of all entities under the Department of Education and Knowledge.
- Regulate the education sector through developing policies, standards, systems, resolutions, operational and executive circulars.
- Monitor the education sector in accordance with applicable by-laws, agreements, and MOUs with local and international stakeholders, in coordination with the concerned entities.
- License all private education entities and monitor their commitment to providing high-quality service in accordance with current regulations and in coordination with other stakeholders.
- Recommend fees, charges and rates, and submit the same to the Executive Council for approval in accordance with the applicable procedures.
- Develop periodic reports and study analysis about issues related to the Department of Education and Knowledge mandates and report them to Abu Dhabi Executive Office.
- Encourage investment and partnerships with the private sector for projects relevant to the Department of Education and Knowledge.mandates and in coordination with other stakeholders.
- Other mandates or tasks assigned by the Executive Council.